SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. -- The Wellesley College swimming and diving team competed at the Mount Holyoke College Invitational on Saturday. The Blue dominated the non-scoring meet, taking 15 of the 22 events. Mount Holyoke came away with six victories, while Smith had one.
Wellesley was paced by first-year Kendra Waters and sophomore Keelin Nave, who figured in on five victories apiece. Waters collected individual wins in the 50-yard (32.83), 100-yard (1:11.74) and 200-yard (2:32.89) breaststroke races, while Nave came out on top in both the 100-yard butterfly (1:00.52) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:19.54).
The duo combined with sophomore Emma Mrkonic and first-year Monica Gates to win the 200-yard (1:55.13) and 400-yard (4:11.81) medley relays. Nave also prevailed in the 400-yard freestyle relay (3:48.96) along with Mrkonic, Gates and sophomore Mariam Amirkhanashvili.
First year Veronica Lin added individual wins in both the 100-yard (1:03.37) and 200-yard (2:22.60) backstroke competitions. The Blue's other winners included Mrkonic (50-yard backstroke – 29.90), Amirkhanashvili (50-yard butterfly – 27.67) and first year Tiffany Chen (200-yard individual medley – 2:22.60). Sophomore Hayley Goydan swept the diving events with scores of 429.30 off the one-meter board and 405.80 off the three-meter board.
For Mount Holyoke, first year Maya Lazarovich figured in on four first place finishes to set the tone for the Lyons. In addition to taking top honors in the 200-yard butterfly (2:20.52), the 200-yard freestyle (2:09.95) and the 400-yard individual medley (5:00.05), she also came out on top in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:43.00) along with junior Nora Cunningham, senior Lydia Bowers and sophomore Lauren Williams. Cunningham went on to post top times in both the 50-yard (25.80) and 100-yard (57.02) freestyle events.
Smith's long victory came from junior Mackenzie Bradley, who touched the wall first in the 1,650-yard freestyle (18:24.64).
Over the course of the day, a total of 13 "Iron Women" took part in all 19 swimming events. The top three combined times came from Chen (29:29.84), Lazarovich (29:30.81) and Wellesley junior Virginia Hung (29:53.16). Wellesley's "Iron Women" included top-three placers Chen and Hung, along with seniors Melanie Kaplan and Allison Yee, junior Karina Chung, sophomores Anne Hamilton and Megan Lambert and first-year Grace Bachman. Competitors were not required to take part in the 1,650-yard freestyle in order to be recognized.
All three squads will return to action during the new year after month long layoffs. Wellesley (3-2) is slated to host Babson College and the Coast Guard Academy on Wednesday, January 11 at 4:00 p.m. Meanwhile, Mount Holyoke (3-1) will visit Clark University for a tri-meet with Wheaton College on Friday, January 13 at 1:00 p.m., and Smith (2-1) will host Wellesley the following afternoon at 1:00 p.m.
- Emma Mrkonic, Kendra Waters, Keelin Nave, Monica Gates: 400-yard medley relay (4:11.81)
- Emma Mrkonic, Kendra Waters, Keelin Nave, Monica Gates: 200-yard medley relay (1:55.13)
- Monica Gates, Emma Mrkonic, Keelin Nave, Maria Amirkhanashvili: 400-yard freestyle relay (3:48.96)
- Hayley Goydan: 1-meter diving (429.30)
- Hayley Goydan: 3-meter diving (405.80)
- Kendra Waters: 50-yard breaststroke (32.83)
- Kendra Waters: 200-yard breaststroke (2:32.89)
- Kendra Waters: 100-yard breaststroke (1:11.74)
- Keelin Nave: 500-yard freestyle (5:19.54)
- Keelin Nave: 100-yard butterfly (1:00.52)
- Maria Amirkhanashvili: 50-yard butterfly (27.67)
- Tiffany Chen: 200-yard individual medley (2:22.60)
- Veronica Lin: 200-yard backstroke (2:14.73)
- Veronica Lin: 100-yard backstroke (1:03.37)
- Emma Mrkonic: 50-yard backstroke (29.90)
Mount Holyoke Winners
- Maya Lazarovich, Nora Cunningham, Lydia Bowers, Lauren Williams: 200-yard freestyle relay (1:43.00)
- Nora Cunningham: 50-yard freestyle (25.80)
- Nora Cunningham: 100-yard freestyle (57.02)
- Maya Lazarovich: 200-yard butterfly (2:20.52)
- Maya Lazarovich: 400-yard individual medley (5:00.05)
- Maya Lazarovich: 200-yard freestyle (2:09.95)
- Mackenzie Bradley: 1,650-yard freestyle (18:24.64)
2011 Mount Holyoke Invitational "Iron Women"
1. Tiffany Chen (Wellesley – 29:29.84)
2. Maya Lazarovich (Mount Holyoke – 29:30.81)
3. Virginia Hung (Wellesley – 29:53.16)
Grace Bachman (Wellesley)
Rachel Boynton (Mount Holyoke)
Paige Christie (Smith)
Karina Chung (Wellesley)
Victoria Gavin (Mount Holyoke)
Annie Hamilton (Wellesley)
Melanie Kaplan (Wellesley)
Megan Lambert (Wellesley)
Isa Wismann-Horther (Mount Holyoke)
Allison Yee (Wellesley)