Wellesley Lacrosse Falls to MIT in OT Thriller

Wellesley Lacrosse Falls to MIT in OT Thriller

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- The MIT lacrosse team mounted a 5-1 run at the end of regulation before Hannah Levy scored the game-winning goal in OT to lead the Engineers over visiting Wellesley College, 15-14, in NEWMAC action on Tuesday night. 

The win gives MIT a 9-3 overall record, as the Engineers improve to 2-2 in NEWMAC play. Wellesley dips to 4-8, 1-3 in the NEWMAC with the loss. 

Wellesley controlled the action for most of the first half as it generated six unanswered goals, three courtesy of junior Meghan Peterson, to hold a commanding lead with 13:22 on the clock. The Blue held the Engineers to four shots until sophomore Isabella DiDio put them on the board at the 9:43 mark and then MIT followed with a free-position strike by senior Erica Du in span of 36 seconds.

The hosts cut their deficit in half with 6:30 to go when freshman Devin Williams caused a turnover on a Wellesley clearing attempt and found sophomore Kristyn Berretta who sprinted directly to goal. The Engineers almost entered the break down a goal, but two markers in the frame were waved off due to illegal sticks.

Levy narrowed the gap to two (6-4) after 2:04 elapsed in the second half. Both sides went on to trade goals as a free-position blast by Wellesley first-year Nikki Sharkin gave her squad a 9-6 lead at the21:37 mark. Schott responded by burying three straight goals in the next five minutes to tie the game. Senior Brit Mscisz and junior Claire Canty both scored back-to-back goals to give the Blue a 13-9 advantage with 8:08 left to play.

A solo effort by Levy just over a minute later sparked MIT's game-ending run as Schott won the ensuing draw and found the back of the net with 6:45 to go. After some back-and-forth play, Levy brought the Engineers within one (13-12) with 2:27 remaining in regulation. Wellesley gained some breathing room on sophomore Chesley Hooker's strike with 57 seconds on the clock but Schott scored twice, at 31 and eight seconds, to send the game into overtime.

MIT produced a pair shots midway through the first three-minute session but they were off the mark. Like its first possession during overtime, Wellesley saw it end with a turnover that was collected by DiDio and eventually resulted in a goal by Levy with 18 seconds left.

After switching ends for the next three-minute period, Peterson put a shot on net following 19 seconds of action but it was turned away by freshman goalie Stephanie Pavlick. Senior Erin Kenney collected the groundball, helping set up an MIT possession that lasted until the Blue's rookie goalie, Wendy Nettleton, caused a turnover with 1:20 left to play. Sharkin attempted to tie the game, however, her shot sailed over the goal with 46 seconds on the clock. Wellesley's last charge came following Peterson's caused turnover with 22 ticks left but the Engineers' defense was impenetrable down the stretch.

MIT's Schott led all players with six goals as MIT improved to 9-3 on the year and 2-2 in NEWMAC play. Levy finished with four goals while DiDio tallied three goals, five groundballs, and five draw controls. Du added three groundballs as Kenney registered three groundballs and two caused turnovers. Sophomore Christine Jiang posted four draw controls and three groundballs while Pavlick made six saves in the first start of her career.

Meghan Peterson paced the Blue with four goals and added two groundballs and two draw controls. Mscisz recorded three goals and one assist as Canty amassed 10 draw controls and three goals. Hooker scored twice and chipped in three groundballs while Sharkin had one goal, one assist, and three draw controls. Rounding out the Blue's stat line, first-year Mary Lemay scored a goal in the Blue's opening run, while Nettleton racked up 11 saves.

Both squads continue NEWMAC play on Saturday, April 12. MIT will visit Wheaton College while Wellesley will host Emerson College.